Mentorship and networking are vital to establishing any business. Our events aim to foster these connections.
Mentor Ken Seiff and entrepreneurs at our June mentoring event in New York
POLITICO, Google and the Tory Burch Foundation have partnered to create “Women Rule"
POLITICO, Google and the Tory Burch Foundation have partnered to create “Women Rule,” a series of events and digital content dedicated to exploring how women are leading change in politics, policy and their communities. The program features prominent women in Congress, administration officials and leaders in business through events, video, print, digital media, polling and social media. The cornerstone of Women Rule is a four-part, event series in Washington, D.C.
- September 26th: panel discussion on Innovating a Movement
- October 11th: panel discussion on Empowering Entrepreneurs moderated by Judy Woodruff, featuring Melanne Verveer and Tory Burch
- November 20th: panel discussion on Influencing the Conversation featuring US Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Power
- December 4th: half day conference on Marks of Leadership
For Women Rule content, visit www.POLITICO.com/WomenRule
A Conversation on Entrepreneurship and Leadership with Eric Schmidt and Tory Burch | October 1, 2013
On October 1, Eric E. Schmidt, the Executive Chairman of Google, spoke with Tory about leadership and entrepreneurship for a group of 50 women entrepreneurs. The conversation touched upon the relationship between money and risk-taking, innovation and entrepreneurship, and the path to success.
PR & Marketing Workshop | September 25, 2013
Team Tory Burch hosted a Public Relations and Marketing Workshop for women entrepreneurs at our showroom in New York City, featuring remarks from Tory Burch Chief Marketing Officer Miki Berardelli and Vice President of Global Public Relations Frances Pennington. Workshop leaders from the Tory Burch public relations, marketing, events, social media and customer relationship management teams provided helpful tools and takeaways on public relations and marketing strategies, hosting events, social media and best use of customer data.
Tory Burch Foundation American Express OPEN Panel Discussion & Mentoring Event | September 20, 2013
Over 200 women entrepreneurs joined us for our September Tory Burch Foundation Panel Discussion and Mentoring Event, held in partnership with OPEN for Women: CEO BootCamp, an intensive, all-day program for women entrepreneurs offered by American Express. Our mentors gave both practical and inspiring advice in discussion with our entrepreneurs. Thank you to American Express, everyone who attended and especially our generous mentors of the evening:
- Laurie Benson, Chief Executive Officer, LSB Unlimited
- Gina Bianchini, Founder, Mightybell
- Gregg Bishop, Deputy Commissioner, New York City Department of Small Business Services
- Jean Chatzky, Financial Editor, NBC’s TODAY show
- Tze Chun, Founder, Uprise Art
- Torie Clarke, Senior Vice President, Global Corporate Affairs, SAP
- Marianne Cooper, Sociologist, The Clayman Institute for Gender Research
- Dianne desRoches, Principal and Chief Executive Officer, AR NY
- Moira Forbes, Publisher, ForbesWoman
- John Gerzema, Author, Social Strategist and Leadership Consultant
- Thelma Golden, Director and Chief Curator, The Studio Museum Harlem
- Marjorie Gubelmann, Owner and Chief Executive Officer, Vie Luxe International
- Ken Seiff, Managing Partner, Beanstalk Ventures and Chief Executive Officer, Seiff & Company
- Nicki Hines, Partner, GCD Consultants
- Tory Johnson, Founder, Spark and Hustle
- Janet Kraus, CEO, Peach & Harvard Business School Senior Lecturer
- Gayle Lemmon, Author and Senior Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations
- Alexis Maybank, Founder and Chief Business Development and Strategy Officer, Gilt Groupe
- Valerie Coleman Morris, Author & Former CNN Business Anchor
- Dina Powell, President, Goldman Sachs Foundation
- Mary Ann Fitzmaurice Reilly, Senior Vice President, Customer Marketing and Engagement, American Express OPEN
- Frank Rimalovski, Managing Director, NYU Innovation Venture Fund
- Glen Senk, Chief Executive Officer, David Yurman
- Lesley Jane Seymour, Editor-in-Chief, More magazine
- Jeanne Sullivan, General Partner, StarVest Partners
- Faye Wattleton, Managing Director and Governance Practice Head, Alvarez & Marsal
- Julie Weeks, President and Chief Executive Officer, Womenable
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | June 20, 2013
Over 100 women entrepreneurs joined us for our June Tory Burch Foundation mentoring event. Our mentors gave both practical and inspiring advice in discussion with our entrepreneurs. Thank you to everyone who attended, especially our generous mentors for the evening:
- Cathie Black, Former Chairman & President, Hearst Magazines
- Claire Chambers, Founder & CEO, Journelle
- Anne Fulenwider, Editor-in-Chief, Marie Claire
- Dave Gilboa, Co-Founder & Co-CEO, Warby Parker
- Julie Gilhart, Fashion Consultant
- Jay Hass, Partner, RRE Ventures
- Deborah Jackson, Founder & CEO, Plum Alley; Founder, Women Innovate Mobile Accelerator
- Doug Jacob, Partner & CEO, JWALK & Left Lane Capital Partners
- Jaqui Lividini, Founder & CEO, Lividini & Co.
- Thea Pagel, Managing Director of Event Marketing, NYSE
- Avani Patel, Founder & CEO, Trendseeder
- Celeste Rodgers, Senior Banker, J.P. Morgan Private Bank
- Ken Seiff, Executive Vice President of Direct & Omni-channels, Brooks Brothers
- Peggy Wallace, Managing Director, Golden Seeds
- Meredith Whitney, CEO, Meredith Whitney Advisory Group, LLC
Conversation on Women’s Entrepreneurship in Philadelphia | May 10, 2013
The Tory Burch Foundation partnered with The Office of Mayor Michael A. Nutter, Entrepreneur Works and the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce to host our first Conversation on Women’s Entrepreneurship in Philadelphia at the Wharton School of Business. The panel discussion and networking event for early stage women entrepreneurs featured Tory Burch, Alan Greenberger, Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development, Sarah Van Aken, owner of SaVa Fashion, and Therese Flaherty, Director of the Wharton Small Business Development Center.
A Conversation on Women's Brain Health and Entrepreneurship | April 18, 2013
Where you went to college or how high your IQ is doesn’t determine how smart you are. How you use your brain does, says Dr. Sandra Bond Chapman, Ph.D., Chief Director of the Center for BrainHealth at The University of Texas at Dallas and author of the new book Make Your Brain Smarter: Increase Your Brain's Creativity, Energy, and Focus. Dr. Chapman joined entrepreneurs at a breakfast at the Foundation on April 18 to provide helpful tools to increase your brain edge. Top takeaway? Stop multitasking, start tasking sequentially.
Tory Burch Foundation Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Class Graduation | April 1, 2013
On April 1, we celebrated the graduation of the inaugural class of the Tory Burch Foundation Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program. These graduates participated in a pilot progam designed specifically for early stage, women-owned businesses with the passion and potential for growth. Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to President Barack Obama and Chair of the White House Council on Women and Girls served as keynote speaker, and the ceremony included a panel discussion moderated by Mika Brzezinski, co-host of “Morning Joe”; with Tory Burch, Arianna Huffington, President and Editor-in-Chief of The Huffington Post; Gary Cohn, Chief Operating Officer of Goldman Sachs, and Malene Barnett, graduate and owner of Malene B, a Brooklyn-based custom, handmade carpet company. The class speaker was Carrie Hammer, graduate and owner of Carrie Hammer brand made-to-measure, professional clothes for women, and our partner Dr. Gail O. Mellow, President of LaGuardia Community College, handed out diplomas.
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | March 14, 2013
90 women business owners joined us for a March Tory Burch Foundation mentoring event. Each of the mentors gave us their best piece of advice and provided information and inspiration to entrepreneurs at each table. One entrepreneur told us less than a week later, “I’ve already implemented much of the advice I received.” Thank you to the entrepreneurs who participated, and very special thanks to our wonderful mentors:
- Bill Ford, CEO, General Atlantic
- Sarah Gallagher, President, Ralph Lauren North America E-commerce
- Jennifer Pate Gilbert, Founder & Chief Visionary Officer, Save the Date
- Maneesh Goyal, CEO, MKG Events
- Jay Hass, Partner, RRE Ventures
- Clarice Kennedy, Senior Director, Resources Global Professionals
- Natalia Oberti Noguera, Founder & CEO, Pipeline Fellowship
- Nicole Primack, Director, Private Banking, Credit Suisse
- Kajal Sanghrajka, Founder, EBK Eyewear; Co-President, Columbia Business Lab
- Frank Viteritti, President & CEO, Import Commodity Group
- Kathleen Warner, COO, Startup America Partnership
Tory Burch Foundation Conversation with San Francisco Women Entrepreneurs | January 16, 2013
Tory met with a group of women from San Francisco, Oakland and beyond to discuss their businesses and challenges. We are grateful to the Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center for sharing with us its work to foster small businesses in the Bay Area.
Tory Burch Conversation at Stanford Graduate School of Business | January 15, 2013
Tory and Pattie Sellers, Fortune's Editor at Large, spoke about the power of storytelling in business during two business school classes, taught by Professor Jennifer Aaker at CEMEX auditorium. View that conversation below.
TBF Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses | November 6, 2012 - February 26, 2013
In November, we kicked off our partnership with Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses, Babson College and LaGuardia Community College to provide a business and entrepreneurial education pilot program for 19 Tory Burch Foundation entrepreneurs in New York. The selected participants received academic instruction and weekly one-on-one business advising from professionals to help develop a strategic and tailored plan for business growth.
Fashion For Sandy Relief Event | November 15-16, 2012
The Council of Fashion Designers of America, the Tory Burch Foundation and Vogue joined to host a FASHION FOR SANDY RELIEF Designer Sale in New York City on November 15 and 16. American and international fashion designers stepped up to make the event a fashion community effort to raise funds for the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City and other relief organizations in the tri-state area. See photos from the event here.
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | October 11, 2012
75 women business owners joined us for an October Tory Burch Foundation mentoring event. Each of the mentors gave us the best piece of advice they had ever received and continued to give practical and inspiring advice to entrepreneurs at each table. Thank you to the entrepreneurs who attended, and special thanks to our astounding mentors for the evening:
- William Detwiler, Partner, Three Ocean Partners
- Ed Filipowski, Co-President, KCD
- Rachel Haot, Chief Digital Officer, NYC Mayor's Office of Media & Entertainment
- Cheryl Henry, Chief Branding Officer & Senior VP, Ruth's Hospitality Group, Inc.
- Susan Lyne, Chairman, Gilt Groupe
- Lisa Price, Founder, Carol's Daughter
- Liz Robbins, Founder & Owner, Liz Robbins Associates
- Andrew Rosen, Founder & CEO, Theory
- Alexa von Tobel, Founder & CEO, LearnVest, Inc.
Conversation on Production with Jim Metcalfe, VP of Production, Tory Burch LLC | AUGUST 28, 2012
The Tory Burch Foundation hosted an informal "Conversation on Production" with industry veteran Jim Metcalfe, VP of Production, Tory Burch LLC. A group of women entrepreneurs with businesses in various stages of operation filled a meeting room at Tory Burch New York headquarters to ask questions about doing business with manufacturers, pricing and creating efficiencies in their supply chain. Jim took questions and encouraged them to trust their instincts and build good relationships with their suppliers.
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | JUNE 27, 2012
Over 65 women entrepreneurs filled the showroom at the Tory Burch New York office for this mentoring event, hosted by TBF and Accion. The entrepreneurs received advice from mentors with expertise in a variety of industries, including food, retail and real estate. After priceless conversations with their mentors, the women continued to network and share their stories with each other. Thank you to our mentees who attended, and special thanks to our amazing mentors:
- Linda Addison, Partner-In-Charge, Fulbright & Jaworksi L.L.P.
- John DeLucie, Proprietor & Executive Chef, The Lion & Crown Restaurants
- Cozy Friedman, Founder & CEO, Cozy’s Cuts For Kids
- Cindi Leive, Editor-in-Chief, GLAMOUR
- Donald Preate, Executive Director, Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- Celia Santana, President & CEO, Personal Risk Management Solutions, LLC
- Glen Senk, CEO, David Yurman
- Kathleen Tierney, Executive VP, Chubb & Son, and COO, Chubb Personal Insurance
- Yolanda Wardowski, Managing Director, Avalon Group
- Tina Wells, CEO, Buzz Marketing Group
African Women Entrepreneurship Program | JUNE 6, 2012
Participants in the U.S. Department of State’s third annual African Women’s Entrepreneurship Program (AWEP) visited Tory Burch.
AWEP is an outreach, education and engagement initiative that empowers African women entrepreneurs to promote business growth; create better business environments; become voices of change in their communities; and increase trade regionally and in U.S. markets through the African Growth and Opportunity Act.
Through AWEP, 16 African fashion, garment and textile entrepreneurs met Tory, toured the Tory Burch New York headquarters and spoke with members of the retail, foundation and design teams about the company's history, growth and design process.
Women’s Entrepreneurship Panel in Marrakech | MAY 30, 2012
TBF partnered with Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women and Vital Voices to host a panel on women’s entrepreneurship in Morocco. Speakers included Tory Burch, CEO and Designer, Tory Burch LLC; Dina Powell, President of the Goldman Sachs Foundation; Dr. Rola Dashti, former member of Parliament in Kuwait; and Ilham Zhiri, Director of Morocco Women Mentoring and Networking. Ilham told us mentoring was a very new concept in Morocco, but it had the potential to make a significant impact. Dr. Dashti emphasized that social change does not come overnight, but investing in mentorship can close the gender gap in the workforce and allow women to propel change.
Fortune/U.S. State Department Mentoring Breakfast | MAY 24, 2012
Tory Burch and the Tory Burch Foundation hosted a breakfast for mentees from the 2012 Fortune/U.S. State Department Global Women’s Mentoring Partnership. During a month-long mentorship and shadowing program, emerging women leaders from around the world connected with Fortune’s women CEOs and senior executives in the U.S. Tory Burch LLC and the Tory Burch Foundation hosted Belma Kapetan, Deputy Director of Bellissima, a fashion retail company in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Conversation on Entrepreneurship and Leadership | APRIL 19, 2012
Our first “Conversation on Entrepreneurship and Leadership” featured J.Crew Chairman and CEO Millard Drexler. In a packed room, Mr. Drexler shared advice and tips on business and leadership. Read them here.
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Mentoring Breakfast | APRIL 12, 2012
The Tory Burch Foundation and Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses partnered on "The Art of Networking: Paying it Forward," a peer networking breakfast for women entrepreneurs at various stages of growth. Tory Burch, Goldman Sachs Foundation President Dina Powell, Jessica Johnson of Johnson Security Bureau and Natasha Wozniak of Natasha Wozniak Jewelry talked about their best networking experiences and gave advice about making smarter connections, being patiently persistent and creating diversity in one’s network. Dr. Patricia Greene, F.W. Olin Distinguished Chair of Entrepreneurship at Babson College, led exercises in networking for the 40 women entrepreneurs who attended.
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | MARCH 15, 2012
The Tory Burch Foundation and Accion partnered to host an evening of mentoring for 90 women entrepreneurs. Our mentors included recognized leaders in retail, fashion, journalism and marketing:
- Alina Cho, National Correspondent, CNN
- Monique Greenwood, Owner, Akwaaba Bed & Breakfast
- Dylan Lauren, Founder & CEO, Dylan’s Candy Bar
- Maribel Lieberman, Founder & CEO, MarieBelle Chocolates
- Dina Powell, President, Goldman Sachs Foundation
- Linda Rottenberg, CEO & Co-Founder, Endeavor
- Susan Sobbott, President, American Express OPEN
- Tracey Travis, CFO, Polo Ralph Lauren
- Victor Tutino, Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Oliver Walsh, CEO, Wednesday
Tory Burch Foundation Meeting with Hawaiian Entrepreneurs | JANUARY 17, 2012
E ho’owaiwai kakou means “to enrich together” in Hawaiian — which is exactly what happened when a group of local business owners came together for TBF’s mentoring event in Honolulu in January 2012. We all shared ideas and discussed challenges and pathways to economic empowerment. It was a great group of entrepreneurs, including Love Chance of the Indigenous Soap Co. and Stephanie Pietsch Gambetta and Noel Pietsch Shaw of Wahoo’s Fish Taco Hawaii, who offer their advice for other entrepreneurs here.
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | DECEMBER 8, 2011
The Tory Burch Foundation and Accion hosted an evening of mentoring for over 60 entrepreneurs. Our mentors included recognized leaders in retail, fashion, beauty and public relations:
- Joan Amble, Executive Vice President, Finance, American Express
- Kendra Bracken-Ferguson, Co-Founder & Managing Director, Digital Brand Architects
- Bobbi Brown, Founder & Chief Creative Officer, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics
- Millard Drexler, CEO & Chairman, J.Crew
- Haley Fox, Co-Owner, Alice’s Tea Cup
- Mark Kaufman, Executive Vice President, Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures
- Dave Lerner, Entrepreneur/Angel Investor/Director, Venture Lab at Columbia University
- Quynh Mai, Founder, Moving Image & Content
- Jay Mattie, U.S. Client Leader, Private Company Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Victoria Meyer, New York Metro Tax Leader, Private Company Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Jane Wesman, President, Jane Wesman PR, Inc. & President, National Association of Women Business Owners-NYC
- Ali Wing, Founder & CEO, Giggle
Get some of their great advice here.
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | FEBRUARY 23, 2011
The Tory Burch Foundation and Accion hosted a mentoring event for 60 small business owners. Our mentors included recognized leaders in fashion, finance, food service and education:
- Scott Dadich, Executive Director of Editorial Development, Condé Nast
- Jessica Igoe, VP of Global Sponsorship & Event Marketing, American Express
- Pattie Sellers, Editor at Large, Fortune at Time Warner, Inc.
- Sherrie Westin, Executive Vice President, Sesame Workshop
- Lisa Caputo, Executive Vice President, Citigroup
- Alex Guarnaschelli, Executive Chef, Butter Restaurant
- Amy Hayes, Political Advisor
- Marie Moody, Founder & President, Stella & Chewy's
- Linda Rottenberg, CEO & Co-Founder, Endeavor
- Alison Pincus, Co-Founder, One Kings Lane
Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | JULY 20, 2011
The Tory Burch Foundation and Accion hosted a mentoring event, where 80 small business owners sat down with industry leaders to discuss entrepreneurship, careers and success. Thank you to our mentees and especially our mentors, a fantastic group of leaders in fashion, law, food service, beauty and media:
- Russell Simmons, Rush Communications
- Mika Brzezinski, Co-Host MSNBC's Morning Joe and Author
- Doreen Wright, former CIO, Campbell's Soup
- Blythe Harris, CCO, Stella & Dot
- Marie Robinson, Marie Robinson Salon
- Patricia Wexler, Patricia Wexler M.D. Dermatology
- Simon Collins, Dean of Fashion, Parsons The New School for Design
- Alan Sutin, Chair of Global IP Group, Greenberg Traurig LLP
Get some of their great advice here.
First Tory Burch Foundation Mentoring Event | OCTOBER 14, 2010
In October 2010, the Tory Burch Foundation hosted its first mentoring event. Read more about the evening and the importance of supporting women entrepreneurs on Tory’s blog for The Huffington Post.